My Elder Brother Part-2

The examination came round. My brother failed, but I passed. not only did I pass but placed in the first division. now there is a difference of only two classes between us. I nearly felt like going and telling him what I thought of him and his lectures but he was so crestfallen that I felt ashamed of myself for even having thought of such a thing.


  The examination results were so encouraging that I started devoting more time to playing. one day when I returned after spending practically the whole morning out, he called me and said I see that your success in the examination has turned your head. But let me warn you that pride destroys one. it has examination has turned your head. But let me warn you that pride destroys one. it has brought down even your head. but let we warn you that pride destroys one. it has bought down even the mightiest of monarchs to their knees. think of raven. have you learned any lessons from his life? you obviously have not. theme passing of examination not enough, my boy. one must learn lessons from history. Ravan was a powerful king so powerful, indeed, that even the gods were afraid of him. power turned his head and he started considering himself greater than even god almighty. And look what his pride did to him. it brought him to a most ignominious end. the same fate has befallen many others who were proud like him.you have only had one success far and think no end of yourself. but mark my words. one success can be a chance occurrence, a mere fluke. just as a stray shot does not make a good marksman similarly a stray success does not mean that you are so clever that you will pass whether you study or not. don't think that just because I have failed I have no right to tell you all this. when you come to my class you will know how difficult it is to get through the ninth class. There is algebra to be learned, and geometry and English, history. it is not easy even to remember the names of those English kings. there have been dozens of henrys and scores of Williams. it is regular rigmarole. there must be an acute shortage of names among these wretched people that they invented this queer system of first-second-third., to differentiate between their kings. it is no joke to remember what event took place in which henrys reign. And the moment you write Henry the eighth instead of Henry the seventh you can rest assured that you will not get even a single mark. and geometric, is really a devil of a subject if you write A C B instead of A B C you have had it. I want to ask these examiners what the difference is after all. or is the intention only to make us learn things by heart verbatim and thus make parrots out of us.
Previous Post Next Post